Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mother's Day

I spent this Mother's Day at my alma mater, Meredith College, delivering the commencement address. It was a surreal experience, somewhat like living in the alter world of pediatric cancer. Much of the speech focused on the very first cancer mom friendship I made with Shirley Staples. Shirley, unbeknownst to me when we met, is also a graduate from the same college with the same degree. Having Shirley be the first cancer mom I met be a fellow grad of the English Department of Meredith, a small women's college in North Carolina, was about as likely as Liam being diagnosed with cancer. Coincidence?

To the Class of 2010, thank you again for inviting me to be your commencement speaker. It was quite a day.

Enter your email address to receive updates on Liam's progress

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz